Friday, March 8, 2013

Noblesse oblige

This project suggested itself: I found some beige 8-ply cotton in my stash about the same time this potholder pattern from the Ravelry Projects page crept up on my screen. A nice waiting room project I thought and a short time later this pretty cloth emerged from the cone. It looked so fancy and noble that I just had to add some embellishment - and now there are little golden bullions or a bird leaving golden footprints wandering along the seam, from the bottom end right into the hanger.
 

 For the embroidery, I used my mother's 2-ply DMC cotton that was in her embroidery yarn box. This cloth turned out just too pretty to be a lowly potholder for wear and tear in the kitchen... it looks really too precious! So in honor of the International Women's Day - here we go from rags to riches!

The idea is from Michelle Gibbs, she saw the hotpad frequently on the Internet and finally sat down and wrote out the pattern, sharing it with Ravelry friends. It is soon available also in German.

How small, practical and ordinary things can suddenly take on their own beauty!






Pinterest

No comments: